Mike Johnson Park
Originally called Georgetown County Stadium, Mike Johnson Park is a classic sports venue that is still in use today originally built in the late 1800s for both baseball and football. The earliest recorded games were in 1896, and it reportedly hosted a semi-pro team in the 1940s and 1950s.
Winyah and Howard high schools both used the stadium for football and baseball until the schools were combined in 1982 to form Georgetown High School. The Georgetown Bulldogs played football and baseball at the stadium until 1988 when a football stadium was built behind the high school. It is currently home to Georgetown High’s baseball teams. It also hosts American Legion Post 114 games every summer and the annual IP Baseball Classic every spring.
The City of Georgetown renamed the stadium for Mike Johnson, the Bulldogs’ legendary coach who had overseen upgrades to the stadium. In 2012, it was named the No. 1 high school baseball facility in South Carolina by www.thediamondprospects.com. That was based on the overall quality of its batting cages, locker rooms and practice areas, as well as its history and atmosphere.